The scientists and software developers at the CCDC create and supply the database system storing the world’s entire collection of the 3D structures of chemicals. This system is used by thousands of organisations in over 70 countries. We’re a professional organisation, established as a not-for-profit company and registered charity. Although independent, we are a University of Cambridge Partner Institute. We offer an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary in a lively and friendly organisation of around 70 staff worldwide. We welcome speculative applications at any time, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data protection and your privacy
Head of Science
We are looking to appoint a Head of Science. This is a key appointment for the CCDC. The appointee will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, the Materials Science and Discovery Science teams of the CCDC and other members of the Senior Leadership Management Team (SLMT) in order to provide management and direction for the science behind this growing not-for-profit and registered charity in the service of the scientific community and for public benefit.
The Head of Science will be accountable for the creation and delivery of the strategic, scientific vision and leadership in all aspects of the science for the organisation. Liaising with Senior Leadership and Management Team members the Head of Science will:
- Liaise with the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Trustees to establish and agree on scientific policy
- Formulate, develop and implement the scientific strategic plan of the company
- Lead and manage the company’s scientific research and development work and to propose direction, as appropriate
- Manage the CCDC scientific team, and to foster a team-based culture, ensuring positive interactions with other teams and with CCDC database and software users and external collaborators
- Drive the scientific relationships with key partners
- Maintain the CCDC’s strong place in the Scientific research community worldwide.
For more details about the position, please see the job description / person specification.
Applications which should include a covering letter detailing what appeals to you about the position and why you are interested, full educational details, employment history and the names of two referees, should be addressed to Petra Hales via email@example.com.
Scientific Software Developer - 1 Year Fixed-Term Contract
As part of our contributions to a large-scale project on pharmaceutical development and manufacture we are looking for a Software Engineer to join our Materials Science development team, based in Cambridge, UK, to help us to:
- Develop emerging scientific methods into robust software tools
- Integrate existing tools into the CCDC’s software portfolio
We seek a versatile software engineer to work with our teams of Agile developers, using a variety of technologies. Proven experience in professional, cross-platform, object-oriented C++ development is essential for this role.
Experience in any of the following would be an advantage: working on GUI design and User Experience; the Qt Application Framework; Agile development methodologies; Python. Experience of applying these technologies in the field of structural chemistry would be a distinct advantage.
This position requires a higher education qualification in science or software development or equivalent experience. For further information on the position, please see the job description and person specification.
Applications, which should include a covering letter detailing what appeals to you about the position and why you are interested, full educational details and employment history, should be addressed to Maggie Brown, HR manager via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous applicants need not apply.
The CCDC has, for many years, served the world’s communities of academic and industrial structural scientists by producing and supplying the authoritative, comprehensive crystallographic data resource – the Cambridge Structural Database (the CSD) – and associated molecular modelling applications, such as GOLD. The CCDC has established operations in the U.S. in order to provide a more local service to our users in the Americas.
In order to help grow and develop our user community throughout North America, we are looking for a Sales Executive to join the team in the U.S. This individual will work with the General Manager of CCDC Inc and the Head of Business Development in our Cambridge HQ to achieve growth targets for revenue and new users. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Identifying prospective users and developing a pipeline for new sales
- Establishing relationships with new and existing users to strengthen the community
- Negotiating license agreements with new and existing users
- Delivering presentations on CCDC software at customer sites and relevant conferences
For more details, please see the job descriptions / person specification.
To apply for this position please email your resume/CV with a covering letter detailing what appeals to you about the position and why you are applying to Amy Sarjeant, General Manager via Careers-NJ@ccdc.cam.ac.uk.
User Applications Scientist
To support our growing user community throughout North America, we are seeking a User Application Scientist with a focus in life sciences and drug discovery to join the CCDC Americas team. This individual will report to the General Manager of CCDC Inc. and work closely with the Director of Business Development and the support team in the UK to provide both technical and scientific support for our users. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Providing support and training to the CCDC community via email, phone, video conference and on-site visits
- Recording and escalating bug reports and suggestions for product improvement
- Identifying and delivering consultancy work for users in the Americas
- Representing the CCDC at conferences and meetings by presenting research and functionality derived from CCDC tools, software and data and engaging with the community
- Working with IT support in the UK to provide technical assistance to other CCDC staff in the US.
For more details, please see the job description / person specification.
The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in chemistry, bio-chemistry or related field, with 3-5 years’ experience in the computational chemistry, pharmaceutical, or drug discovery industry. They will be independently motivated with excellent presentation and communication skills. They must be eligible to work in the United States and able to travel internationally. This position is based in the U.S., location to be agreed.
To apply for this position please email your resume/CV with a covering letter detailing what appeals to you about the position and why you are applying to Amy Sarjeant, General Manager via Careers-NJ@ccdc.cam.ac.uk. For further information please contact Careers-NJ@ccdc.cam.ac.uk.
Registered Charity No 800579
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
CCDC PhD Studentships
Thank you for your interest in the CCDC. We don't have any open PhD studentships at this time, however, please check this webpage regularly as it will be updated as opportunities arise.